Brand Story
  • 1900

    The technology to produce reinforced fibre cement boards was invented.

  • 1905

    EternitNV was founded.

  • 1924

    Eternit's production site in Belgium was officially operated.

  • 1937

    Fibre cement products were launched to markets in Europe and Latin America
    In the 1930s, Eternit expanded internationally. New branches were set up in Europe. To safeguard overseas markets where the group was very active through exports, investments were made in Latin America (Argentina, Chili and Uruguay). The year 1937 marked the foundation of Eternit Argentina.

  • 1949

    Founding of first fibre cement manufacturer in Africa
    Reconstruction after World War II breathed new air into the building sector. Eternit prospered once more while maintaining its investment policy. In 1949, the first cement factory was built in Africa (Congo).

  • 1950

    Founding of first fibre cement manufacturer in Asia
    Eternit brought its activities to Asia. A fibre cement factory was built in Manila, the Philippines.

  • 1957

    Stepping into gypsum board market
    After a period focusing on modernizing tools and technologies, the Group stepped on a stage of product diversification. As a result, gypsum board was added to the portfolio and the Gyproc Company was founded in Belgium.

  • 1958

    Etertnit NV joined the World Expo in Brussels Belgium
    Eternit exhibition room in unique shape was completed and opened to the public

  • 1962

    Eternit's production site in Belgium was officially operated.

  • 1962-1975

    Watler Gropius, the founder of Bauhaus, used Eternit's ventilation curtain systemson his works.

  • 1981

    A strong position in fibre cement allowed the company to take advantage of the sector's recovery. Promat, a German company producing passive fire protection solutions founded in 1958, was acquired in 1981.

  • 1984

    Founding of Eternit Guangzhou Building Systems Co., Ltd.
    It is the first factoryin China which produces reinforced fibre cement boards, as well as one of the first enterprises with foreign investments in Guangzhou.

  • 1993

    Ceramic tiles for floor and walls, manufactured and marketed in Latin America, became a new business segment. Ceramica San Lorenzo in Argentina joined the company.

  • 1995

    Eternit Group changed its name to Etex Group
    Etex Group owns more than 50 world famous brands which are widely recognized in building industry, covering cladding, roofing, interior, flooring and passive fire proof systems, etc.

  • 2008

    Official operation of Eternit Guangzhou's new factory in Yonghe, Guangzhou
    The new factory occupies 57,000 square meters and owns the world's leading equipment and technology for making reinforced fibre cement boards.

  • 2011

    Etex took over 80 % of the European and Latin American gypsum activities of the French group Lafarge. This marked one of the biggest acquisition in Etex's history and led to the creation of Siniat, the brand under which plasterboard is manufactured and sold in Europe.

  • 2012

    The new production line of high density boards was officiallylaunched at Eternit Guangzhou.

  • 2014

    Etex acquired the remaining 20 % of the gypsum business in Latin America and Europe. This step enables Etex to play a major role in the dry construction market.

  • 2016

    Realization of Green Factory in EGBS
    Full operation of the Solar System, Farewell to the "Boiler Age", with Waste-heat Recycling Steam, 100% cyclic utilization of waste water; Use of electric forklifts without emission.